Sunday, March 22, 2015

Satire

Whenever one looks back to his or her childhood, almost immediately toys come to mind. Men may imagine Hot Wheels and plastic tool sets, while women think of Barbies and Easy Bake ovens. The two types of toys, those for boys and girls, can very easily be differentiated. Boy toys usually involve building, sports, or the color blue. Girl toys are commonly covered in flowers, pink, and sparkly. The gap between each category of toys is widened by advertisements. Has there ever been a commercial featuring a boy playing with a Barbie? No, not ever. Most boys would be ashamed to even be watching a Barbie commercial. Toy companies never seem to want to stray from gendered toys, although they have tried. Nerf has a line of guns for girls titled 'Rebelle' (perhaps the normal spelling of 'rebel' was too much), which features many styles and sizes, all decorated in pink and purple. The names of the toys ranges from 'Pink Crush' to 'Heartbreaker.' Just to compare, many of the boy guns are blue or red and have names like 'Demolisher' and 'Retaliator.' If that isn't gender equality, I don't know what is.
People have a fixation with gendering objects, especially toys, that they refuse to let up on. No other animal does this - in nature, the sexes are the same. Do male tigers play with Spiderman action figures and Legos? Do females dress in pink and play with dolls? Are they shamed for branching away from these norms? Only humans have these ideals.

Gendered....Pasta?

4 comments:

  1. I like your exploration of gender-based toys, and, in particular, the end of your post :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I find it amusing that they name girl toys 'Pink Crush' and boy toys 'Demolisher' . Your sarcasm in the line after that adds to the ridiculousness of the companies' marketing! By the way, that pasta looks like erasers and is that a pink pasta I see in the blue package? Nice topic to satire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Shannon, I love this post! Your example of the Nerf guns really brought your point to life. I can confidently laugh at the folly of humankind because I never owned a single Barbie as a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shannon, amazing post! Your tone perfectly resembles that of Wallace's and your examples are very supportive! Plus, why on earth would people need to have separated pastas?

    ReplyDelete